Bill McDonald is one of Australia’s most versatile, experienced and respected News & Sports presenters, built off an extensive multi-media journalistic career. With more than 30 years in the industry, Bill is a skilled presenter, broadcaster and commentator having worked primarily in television but also across radio, print and on-line, as well as media coaching and strategy.
If Presenting in any forum is what you need, then look no further. Bill is not only an experienced, recognised and highly respected News anchor, he’s also widely regarded as one of the best ‘live’ rolling coverage anchors in Australia. His ability to quickly access, interpret and empathetically communicate the facts and emotions of major news events is second to none. His warm, friendly delivery is engaging and never sensationalised, making him a favourite with audiences looking for genuine, informative events coverage. Bill was honoured with a Queensland Clarion Award for Best Broadcast interview in the aftermath of The Gap storms as humbling recognition by his peers in 2009.
A glance at Bill McDonald’s ‘Sports Scoreboard’ is proof that there’s not many major sports he hasn’t covered over a 30 year media career. From Olympic Table Tennis, AFL and State or Origin, to Basketball, V8’s and even Ten Pin Bowling. Bill continues to share his passion for sport with fellow Aussies from the BBQ to the Boardroom, believing Sport is the great unifying force in society. Some highlight’s include Brisbane’s historic AFL Premiership 3-peat, Olympics and Commonwealth Games.
2004-2012 Co-anchor Ten News Brisbane
Involved hosting live rolling studio and on location coverage of major disaster events live cyclones, the Brisbane floods, the Queen’s visit and Gap Storms in 2008, which earned a Qld Clarion Award for Best Broadcast Interview.
2013-2018 Co-anchor Seven News Brisbane
Brisbane’s top rating news service at the time. Involved extensive hosting of live rolling studio and on location coverage of major news and disaster events including cyclones, Brisbane floods & storms, the Dreamworld tragedy, the Brett Forte Police shooting & Memorial, The Morecombe, Gerard Baden-Clay & Gabe Tostee trials, G20 Summit and the Royal tour of William & Kate.
- 2000 Sydney Olympics – News/Sport reporter - Ten Network.
- 2016 Rio Olympics– News reporter/anchor – Commentator Table Tennis – Mixed Zone interviews - Seven Network.
- 2002 Manchester Commonwealth Games - Sports Tonight – National host/reporter – Ten Network.
- 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games – Mixed Zone interviews – Channel hosting – commentary – Seven Network 2018.
- AFL - boundary rider - Seven & Ten Networks.
- AFL - caller – Triple M Radio Network - National Indigenous Radio Service – Seven Network.
- AFL – Correspondent - The Age + Columnist for Gold Coast Bulletin & various magazine publications (Aura Magazine, Brisbane News, Auto Action).
- AFLQ – Grand Final commentator & media award winner in the mid 1990’s.
- State of Origin - commentator (2) – 98.9 FM Radio Maroon.
- Rugby Seven’s – Host - Ten Network.
- 2017 & 2018 Brisbane International Tennis – Host/Reporter – Seven Network.
- V8 Supercars – Bathurst 1000 – Pit lane commentator/Sports Tonight reporter – Ten Network.
- Gold Coast Indy – Pit Lane commentator/Sports Tonight reporter – Ten Network.
- Clipsal 500 Adelaide – Pit Lane commentator/Sports Tonight reporter – Ten Network.
- NBL – Commentator & Host – Ten Network.
- Australian Men’s PGA - Australian Ladies Open & Masters – Fairway commentator/News anchor – Ten Network.
- Melbourne Cup – Coverage Reporter & News/sport anchor – Ten Network.
- 1998 Sydney to Hobart – Sports Tonight reporter – Ten Network. Six deaths made it the most disastrous event in the race’s history.
- Coca Cola Ten Pin Classic – Host/Commentator – Ten Network.
- Sport Reporter/Anchor – Sport Producer/Commentator - Seven & Ten Networks.
- Sportsworld – AFL segment host & national features reporter – Seven Network.
- Sports Tonight – Reporter – Ten Network.